I get asked all the time what supplements we take, so I figured I’d compile a list of all my most favorite supplements to use for our family! I’m all about options, so you might see a couple of different brands mentioned throughout. No, we don’t use them ALL at the same time or even everyday, but I’ve used every single one at one point or another.
Please always consult with your doctor or child’s pediatrician before adding or changing any current supplementing routines… Supplements can be good but just like with anything else, it’s important to have a balance that’s right for you!
Some links may be affiliate links, in which case I may receive a small commission off your purchase, however the use of affiliate links does NOT charge you any more! If you’d like more information, please see my disclosure.
Why We Supplement
To us, it’s important to supplement because we want to ensure that we get all of our daily nutrients so that our bodies function as best as it can. No doubt that the best way to get your vitamins is through food and we do incorporate several fruits and veggies in our diets.
However, even when eating fresh, less processed, organic and non-gmo foods, it is still very difficult to obtain all the vitamins and nutrients we need. Nowadays, fruits and veggies do not contain the same level of nutrients that they did even just 20 years ago.
Science has found that “you would have to eat eight oranges today to get the same amount of vitamin A your grandparents got from a single orange. And you would need to eat five to get the same level of iron”.
With that, studies have found that 91% of Americans don’t even eat enough fruits and veggies to begin with. This leads to a serious deficit in the the vitamins and nutrients.
A few examples of not getting enough nutrients result in things like digestive issues, diseases, increased risk of high blood pressure or stroke, weight gain… And other health problems that might not seem related to nutrient deficiencies but in fact, are.
Why Supplements Need to be of High Quality
We always opt for natural and organic in our foods in order to avoid any the toxins that come from harmful pesticides, artificial ingredients, preservatives, flavors, colors, and genetically modified ingredients. So why wouldn’t we choose the same for our supplements?
Additionally, I’ve found that high quality supplements are usually made up of natural ingredients which makes nutrients and minerals more bioavailable to our bodies. It makes it not only so that our bodies can use the nutrients right away but also so that our bodies can absorb nutrients better!
Mary Ruth Organics
- Daily Multivitamin:
- I love this one because it’s a liquid and safe for both kids and adults. My daughter loves the strawberry flavor and takes it super easy.
- Liquid Probiotic:
- We’ve noticed such a huge difference by using this! A healthy gut is one of the most important things to focus on. People often call it the “second brain” because it controls so much of our immune system, our emotions, and overall well-being.
- Liquid Probiotic (Infants):
- This is a good infant option. Breast milk is amazing for healthy bacteria in infancy but if you’re supplementing or using formula, I highly suggest getting a seperate probiotic.
- Pre & Postnatal Probiotics:
- Personally, I didn’t have much trouble during my pregnancy but I know I certainly appreciated the help right after delivering… These are two options I’m sure many of you would enjoy as well!
- Probiotic Turmeric+:
- This particular one is a capsule! I really do like the liquid one but I LOVE that this has turmeric. Turmeric is amazing for so many things – specifically inflammation and arthritis. Ask my husband how much I use this in our foods, LOL.
- Vitamin D3 + B12 Gummies:
- Normally I don’t buy gummies (I personally think we just don’t need the added sugars), but I really enjoyed these! I do wish they had olive oil instead of sunflower oil but at least it’s non-gmo and the sugar is organic! They do have sugar-free but I personally don’t like “sugar-free” anything. Vitamin D helps with calcium absorption which was a deficiency I struggled with after my pregnancy.
- Liquid Iodine:
- This is something I don’t think people talk enough about! Iodine is especially important for those on vegan, vegetarian diets and those who are nursing or pregnant. A little goes a long way, one of these bottles should last you over a year for one person! Iodine also helps with the detoxification process in our bodies – please do your research if you’re considering adding this to your routine for that purpose.
- Liquid Zinc:
- Did you know that a zinc deficiency can make food taste funny? My daughter’s pediatrician brought this up and did the zinc test on her when she – out of nowhere – became super picky about her food. This was right after I had weaned her from breastfeeding and had not yet implemented a daily multivitamin.
- Men’s One Daily:
- Mark takes this one! He loves that it is easy and simple. I do give him some other supplements but this is the only one he sticks to using continuously.
- Calcium & Magnesium:
- I only began using this towards the end of my pregnancy, calcium is so, so important for both mom and baby. Magnesium helps so much with sleep (especially in those last few weeks).
- Bone Health:
- This is another one I would recommend from MegaFood.
- Baby and Me 2 (Pre & Postnatal):
- Keep in mind, this one and the Calcium & Magnesium cannot be taken together. The iron in this particular supplement negates any absorption of calcium… I would take this one in the morning and the other one at night. It is my absolute favorite prenatal (and I had tried quite a few throughout my pregnancy with Lily).
- Pure Radiance Vitamin C:
- Rose (@roseuncharted) recommended this supplement on her Instagram and I bought it immediately when the country began going on lockdown. It’s a little pricey but so, SO worth it! I love that it is made from berries (for bioavailability) which offer many additional benefits from the natural antioxidants! This is the powder but you can put it into orange juice like I do – it blends in so smooth! You can also put the powder in to little capsules yourself or buy their premade ones.
I want to preface this section with the fact that I only use doTERRA essential oils when it comes to internal supplementing. Other companies do not have the same requirement standards for testing. Nor do they only come in their purest form (ie, some companies have to create a separate line of specifically ingestible oils).
I would also like to note that while I do avocate for organic whenever possible, there is a HUGE difference in organic oils and doTERRA oils. The difference is in the chemical makeup.
The chemical makeup is determined by the quality of the soil from where the plant was grown in, to when the plant was harvested… To the way that the plant was distilled (keeping in mind their temperature sensitivities)…
There are so many variables that count towards what makes an effective essential oil; but it’s what maintains the integrity of their left over constituents. doTERRA sources from all over the world because, and I hate to break it to you but… Not every plant will grow at its optimum on U.S. soil.
And because I know that I’ll get this question, YES, it is safe to ingest certain essential oils. You can find the FDA’s list of essential oils safe to ingest here. Essential oils can be found in many of our fruits and herbs – lemons, oranges, ginger, cilantro, rosemary, etc… I mean, how else would they get the oils without these foods, right?
The amount of oil in our foods is simply miniscule in comparison to a 15 ml bottle of essential oil. That is why I only use a drop or two at a time. And I always dilute with organic olive or avocado oil if not in my food or drink. Nonetheless, I have found essential oils to be fast-working and extremely beneficial even in such small quantities!
If you’re curious about essential oil safety, I highly suggest the book, Essential Oil Safety: A Guide for Healthcare Professionals by Robert Tisserand & Rodney Young.
- This oil is incredible for anxiety, inflammation and pain. I do 1-2 drops in a veggie capsule when I’ve been particularly tired, anxious or overwhelmed. These are available in pre-made capsules if you’re looking for convenience.
- This oil has been compared to CBD for its calming properties, watch this video to watch Dr. Hill talk about how it works.
- I use lemon mainly for flavoring in my smoothies and teas, I’ve also used in place of lemon juice for apples in an apple pie. But there are many benefits for lemon; soar throats, sluggish digestion, and detoxing.
- Grapefruit again, I use it mainly for flavoring in my drinks, but it is really good for natural progesterone and hormone balancing. weight management, and migraine headaches.
- This is doTERRA’s detoxification blend. I am using this in the fertility protocol I’m doing. Take one to two drops in tea or in a veggie cap. It helps support liver function to best detox your system.
- LifeLong Vitality:
- It took me a while before I decided to jump in and try these out but the ingredients and results are truly amazing. It is whole-food based for bioavaialability. doTERRA also has a money-back guarantee that is second to none! They also have a vegan version.
- LifeLong Vitality comes with 3 different supplements (and trust me it’s much more affordable buying the pack – you save $79!). Each one has it’s own complete list of benefits that is much too long to list here so please see each one below.
- However, it’s overall benefits are antioxidant and DNA protection, energy metabolism, bone health, immune function, stress management, cardiovascular health, healthy hair, skin, and nails, eye, brain, nervous system, liver function and digestive health, lung and respiratory health and overall wellness and vitality.
- Adaptiv Capsules
- This is a life changing supplement for many that struggle with anxiety. It is safe for use with or without any prescription medication and for everyday as a preventative measure. I mainly use the Adaptiv oil to help me but I did use these temporarily and do recommend them to anyone who might need the help. However, since my anxiety is manageable with the Adaptiv oil blend (that cannot be ingested) in combination with Copaiba as I mentioned above, I don’t feel that I need the capsules.
- Additionally, I’m a little disappointed that they used sunflower oil and maltodextrin (both non-gmo), but in the case of anxiety in comparison to traditional prescription medications and their side effects – this is a MUCH better option. I’ve read many testimonials of people – with their doctor’s approval – safely decrease, or even come off their medications completely!
- Copaiba Capsules:
- These are the more convenient way to take copaiba essential oil internally! Already made and ready to take. I personally prefer to take the oil in veggie caps as I can better control how much oil goes into each capsules to suit my needs.
- Zendocrine Capsules:
- These are once again, a more convenient way to take the Zendocrine oil. It is different than the Zendocrine Detoxification Complex however, as the Complex has added enzymes… I have not personally used the Complex.
Final Things to Consider
I wanted to leave you with these last few bits of information…
First, please remember that these supplements are the ones my family and I have used, and what’s been working for us. What works for one, might not work for all.
There will be times that you might need to adjust dosage amounts… And for that, I highly suggest talking to your doctor before you begin supplementing anything in specific… Especially if you’re pregnant or nursing!
It’s also important to note that just because you’re supplementing, doesn’t mean that you can continue to eat like garbage. There is no shortcut to health.
In order to see the full benefits of any supplements, they should be combined with healthy eating, sufficient water intake, and daily exercise. Not to mention, junk foods will only make it more difficult for your body to process and digest anything.
Also, keep in mind that it may take some time to notice results. I always suggest sticking with something for at least 3 months. It will give your body enough time to adjust and relearn to function correctly.
If you’re serious about investing in your health, wake up every day with the intention of doing something that will nourish your body physically. I promise, your body will thank you!
These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. These products are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.
Leave a Reply